Classic Regency Side Chair
The Classic Regency Side Chair
The Classic Regency Chair dining or desk chair is copied from an 1810 original in the manner of Thomas Hope, and made by B. Harmer.
Made entirely of solid rosewood, these chairs should last as long as the originals.
The gracefully curved tablet back has a recessed and ebonized Greek key motif.
This recessed detailing continues on the side and sabre legs, and are additionally embellished with ebonised paterae.
A saddle seat completes the classic look to this quintessentially Regency chair.
B Harmer is a largely unknown maker of the English Georgian period. A mysterious figure even to furniture historians, as there is very little surviving documentation about him. In fact, it is not even certain what The B. stands for. He is known to have worked for the Company Marsh and Tatham. Now, he is principally remembered for the magnificent drawing Room suite for Powderham Castle, and also for his work based on the designs of Thomas Hope.
He also made the well documented dining chairs for William Shepherd (d.1815) of Russell Square, London. These were sold by Christies Auctioneers in July 2000:
Fabric required (m): 75cm + pattern repeat
The accompanying Classic Regency Elbow chair: model CH-EA
The Classic Regency Side Chair: Model : CH-E
Dimensions (cm) : w 50 d 53 h 86 seat h 45
Materials : Rosewood
Finished : Wood Hand Polish