Boar’s Head Argand lamp
Model LT BHD
The Argand Lamp was the height of fashion in the early 19th century when oil was in use for lighting. Colza oil (made from rapeseed) was the most commonly used oil of the time, for both Argand and Carcel lamps, before the invention of kerosene.
The Argand lamp mechanism was invented and patented in 1780 by Frenchman Aimé Argand (1750 – 1803).
This lamp is from a mould by Thomas Messenger, known to have showrooms in both London and Birmingham. The design is by Piranesi dated 1778.
The Boar’s Head Argand lamp has a patinated bronze finish to this solid brass lamp, and with the addition of the etched glass shade, this is an extremely good copy of the original lamp.
Of course, now the lamp is electrified and uses a small bayonet fitting. It is an extremely impressive desk or table lamp.
Dimensions (mm): w 330 d 130 h 250 including small etched tulip shade